A “con” style event typically means hundreds of people dawning their fiercest cosplay looks, exhibitors, panelists and speakers at every corner and too many goodie bags for your poor arms to handle. While theCURVYcon will certainly be a different kind of “con” event, you still must prepare yourself for an intense day of plus size fashion, networking, shopping, ideas sharing, and learning. Here are a few tips to get you started!
- Pull out all the fashion stops. Where Comic Con has cosplay, theCURVYcon will be no less of a fashionista sight to see, so take this opportunity to have fun with your style. Try something new or experiment with a trend you’ve been dying to wear. You are in a safe environment supported by other beautiful plus size divas that will definitely be bringing their A game. Be creative and show off your personality.
- Make sure to bring a chic LARGE handbag. All “cons” have one thing in common, goodie bags! Whether it is from speakers, vendors, or the show itself you are bound to leave with a bag full of flyers, samples and trinkets. Don’t ruin the polished look you worked so hard to put together by walking around with tons of bags. Instead, bring one large enough stylish handbag that fits the goodies and any additional items you may need for the day.
- Fuel and hydrate! Come well fed and bring snacks. Although the venue may offer food for sale, do you really want to use your precious break time for that? Instead, grab a protein bar and continue networking and connecting with the amazing men and women in attendance. Remember, someone’s break is your opportunity.
- Bring your business cards! If you don’t have any, run to Staples and order a small batch. Whether you are a blogger, a stylist, or just a plus size fashion lover, a business card is the best way to connect with others you meet throughout the day. Go ahead and hand out those bad boys in style and don’t forget to take notes on the back of the business cards of others. After the dust has settled from the fabulous event, you’ll want to remember key details regarding the person you were chatting with.
- Don’t be afraid to say hello! Whether at theCURVYcon or at other plus size events, you are bound to run into speakers, models, celebrities, bloggers, designers and other personalities that you follow and admire. Trust me, even I have my fan girl moments. Don’t be afraid to stop over to someone you recognize or want to get to know and introduce yourself. We are normal people and we like making new friends. Also remember to network and connect with other attendees. These events have an amazing ability of bringing together a wide assortment of participants from all walks of life and all over the world. Turn to your neighbor and say hello! You may be surprised who you meet.
- Bring your charger and back up battery for both your phone and camera. You will be taking tons of pictures and flooding social media. Don’t let the lack of juice stop you from being connected.
- Wear comfortable shoes or at least bring comfy shoes in your fabulously large handbag.
- Have fun! Life is short and events like this don’t come around often enough. Allow yourself to get immersed in the environment, disconnect from the outside world and revel in the beautiful plus size community that is surrounding you.
See you Saturday!